Thursday 22 June 2017

Day 47 June 22, 2017

And that's a wrap.

Because of my experiences struggling with the Sierra snow and raging streams and rivers, I have made the tough decision to abandon my dream of through hiking the PCT. I knew making the attempt in a high snow year (Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort, which is further north on the PCT recorded a total of 618 inches or just over 51 feet of snow this winter) would be tough, but my timing just sucked. It has been relatively cool all spring in this area until early this week, just as our group entered the mountains. Then the heat wave started and the melt got going big time. It just exceeded my comfort level to ford icy cold, fast moving streams and to spend hours trying to navigate lumpy snow under the forest cover, or worse yet out in the flats where snow cups awaited.

Because the long term forecast is for a continuation of the heatwave, it really only left me with three options, with the fourth option of returning to the mountains simply out of the question.

First, I could skip ahead past the Sierra with the intention of coming back later in the summer. Two reasons for nixing that plan. First, there is nowhere to skip ahead to that will be snow free. Maybe not as severe as the Sierra snow pack, but still not enjoyable hiking. And this hike was supposed to be enjoyable, not a forced march. Second reason is personal. I feel that a true through hike is defined as starting at Campo and walking one continuous line to BC. Just my way of thinking, but it is important to me.

The second option that I considered was to jump to a different trail all together. The most obvious choice would be the Oregon Coast Trail. Although this has some appeal, it just is not calling my heart. I have dreamt about a PCT through hike for near on seven years and the thought of filling in with a different trail just does not cut it.

So that left the third choice of coming home. At the end of the day for me, it really was the only choice to make. I have a wonderful wife and kids and a great home life to return to. So I will make whatever arrangements I can to get likely to Reno and fly home from there.

The most obvious question that will linger is will I regret this decision later. In my mind, no not at all. I am very proud of my attempt at a through hike in what can only be described as one of the most difficult years in a couple of decades to do the trail. At 61, I was one of the more senior members of the hiking fraternity, yet I was able to maintain pace with the younger crowd that I befriended. I met some truly wonderful people out there and learned way more about their bowel movements than I would have ever imagined! With a very, very few exceptions, everyone I met on trail were great people. The 15 member hiking "family" that was assembled starting in Warner Springs was so much fun. We literally laughed our way up the trail. The week that I did spend in the Sierra was stunning. But it would have made so much more sense to be there in late summer or early fall.

So, with that, I finalize the obituary for my PCT through hike. Rest in peace my dream.

11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed meeting you and following your adventure Silver Fox. Hope to see you on the trail in the future! -GoalTech

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of curiosity, why not take two weeks off and then come back? Stream crossings should be more manageable by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should have mentioned that I did consider that option also. My reason for rejecting it was twofold. First, I really had nowhere obvious to kill two or more weeks. My wife and I are not poor, but it would be incredibly selfish of me to spend a ton of money goofing around California while she stayed home. Secondly, with a May 7th start date, I always knew that getting to the Cascades before the fall snows was going to be tight. I was pretty much maxed out at 25 mile days, so loosing two weeks was going to be near on impossible, imho. But I do appreciate the suggestion. Are you hiking this year?

      Delete
    2. I am still section hiking -- I did horseshoe meadows to Onion Valley June 1-4 this year. I hope to do a thru in 2021 so I've been reading blogs like yours to prepare. I totally get your concern about your family. That's why I have my eyes set on 2021 (my kids will be in college then). But even on my little section hikes I still always worry about getting back home.

      Hope you have a chance at another go some time -- maybe I'll see you on trail!

      Delete
  3. What obituary? You've completed your thru-hike, brother! Congratulations! You walked hundreds of miles through the desert! You saw strangers come together in the extremes of life's conditions and become a family! And you got to be one of them! Every moment unique, never to come again, and each lived to the utmost! Be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Snickers! You should be so proud of the journey, the people that you met, the friends that you made, and what your body was able to accomplish!! You were part of a really amazing journey. Strong work!
    (Will-from California's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jack: Great effort, smart decision although I can feel your disappointment. It is big country up there Jack, and it takes no prisoners!! You had a remarkable hike, got into some of the most beautiful country in the world, and you know it will be there down the road if you decide to do more segments or pick up where you left off some time. Congratulations on a great adventure and for taking us along with you on this blog. Safe travels home.

    Steve Lackey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you never quit easily so I know this must hurt! What a great adventure though! Nature just had other plans. Summer at home sounds pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was an amazing journey Jack. Thanks for taking us with you for the the ride in the comfort of our homes. I feel your pain my friend but you made a good decision considering the conditions. You have a lot to be proud of in what you accomplished. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack! Thank you so much for sharing your PCT Adventure! We have vicariously trekked desert trails and tackled the stunning Sierra Mountains all while encountering desert rattlers, raging creeks, interesting characters, splendid scenery, trail 'angels' and generous, friendly Americans. Your photos and terrific journaling did bring each day into our homes. I had a great belly-laugh tonight when I read your last entry about encountering snow cups in your hotel room! Congratulations on a great accomplishment! Bonnie and Norman Fair

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have done awesome. So glad you played the safety card. Congratulations on your accomplishment. I know a certain someone will be looking forward to having you home.

    ReplyDelete