Wednesday 14 June 2017

Day 36 June 11, 2017

  • Daily mileage 25
  • Total mileage 655
  • Hiked from 5:15 am to 5:00 pm

Today started out very cold and it is ending the same.

Woke up just before 5:00 and was rolling down the trail with every piece of clothing available to me on.  It was some sort of cold.  It was cold during the night, but my trusty sleeping bag was up for the task.  This morning was a downhill cruise to a water source called McIver Springs.  When I got there, part of the crew was there, so it was nice catching up with what is happening.  The plan right now is to assemble everyone in Kennedy Meadows, eat lots,, rest and then head out into the Sierra on Friday.  I am hoping to be in KM by Tuesday so that will be a nice break.

Early morning 
When the trail is actually a road 
Trail heading to Walker Pass
Next stop after the water source was Walker Pass.  Coppertone was supposed to be there, but alas he was not when I got there.  But, some kind store owner had left all kinds of soon to be stale dated loaves of bread, bagels, donuts and other goodies.  Lunch is served!  While a bunch of us were sitting and gorging ourselves, some section hikers who were just finishing their hike came over and gave us all their remaining protein bars.  Again, score.  Then Coppertone drove up. Yeah, five for five with seeing him. Of course, it would be impolite to turn down a root beer float.  Then, a random gentleman drove up and handed us a bag of cold beers, hard lemon aid and other drinks. Best two hours yet!

That will be the last time I see Coppertone.  He is off to a family reunion rather than following us up to Canada as he apparently usually does.  He is a really great guy, and I say that not just because he gave me five root beer floats.  He is just one of those genuine type people that you come across every now and again.  If we lived in closer proximity, I could see us two old guys being buds.

Trail switch backing ahead 
More desert
I more or less waddled out of the area and took on the big climb for the day. All said, it was about 2,500 feet and I now sit at the top of the climb setting up camp and freezing my ass off.  The climb went really well, so maybe there is something to be said for pigging out before a big task like that!

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment