Wednesday 14 June 2017

Day 32 June 7 2017 Part two

  • Daily mileage 12
  • Total mileage 565
  • Hiked from 4:00 pm to 9:15 pm

Hopefully the last hot day for a while.

After I did my last entry this morning, my plans have changed again vis a vis the Sierra.  I have now sent a resupply box to Kennedy Meadows so I can stay with the group I am hiking with now.  Just does not make sense to try the Sierra without the support of other hikers in this rather high snow year.  With that done, I just relaxed in the shade in town until a very kind lady came along and offered rides back to the trailhead.

I hung around with Coppertone and a few other hikers for a bit until the heat of the day was a bit less daunting.  Then I headed out into yet another wind farm.  Those things are so cool.  After a bit of a lumpy trail I came out at Hwy 58. There was a car down there dropping of some hikers and the driver offered me root beer and a fill up on water.  Impromptu trail magic!  Then I reached the most hallowed grounds on the entire PCT.  This is the exact spot where both Cheryl Strayed and Reese Witherspoon started their PCT journeys!  
 
Wind farm

Where Cheryl Strayed started

More SoCal desert

Moonrise
There was a long hill after the highway and I am camped about half way up it.  The weather is supposed to be much cooler starting tomorrow, so finishing the hill should be no issue in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment