Tuesday 6 June 2017

Day 31 June 6, 2017

  • Daily mileage 11
  • Total mileage 553
  • Hiked from 5:15 am to 9:30 am

Town day!

Got up at the usual time (4:45 am) and got going on the remainder of the long uphill that I started on last night.  When I got to the top, I was pleasantly surprised to find a water cache.  Some kind local soul provides a place to sit and tons of bottled water to enjoy.  It was a godsend for me because I was down to less than a litre and nine miles to go. Doable but not comfortable.  I did not take a picture because a ton of hikers were in various stages of waking all around it.
     
Early morning desert      
Yet another wind farm we walked past
Then it was an easy cruise down to the road leading to Tehachapi.  And who is waiting at the road?  Both Coppertone and Legend.  Hey, yesterday I had a beer for breakfast, today I had a root beer float!  That is four times I have crossed paths with Coppertone.  He even remembered my name.  Legend was giving rides to town, but only to the airport where they allow camping.  I figured I would go with him and then figure out how to get into the town when I got there (for those of you who know me personally, yes the trail has changed me into a bit of a free spirit!).  Well, I had barely gotten out of Legend's truck when a local pulled up to drop off some hikers. I asked him if he was going back to town and he just said jump in.  Thanks Scoutt if you should ever stumble upon this.

Got checked into the Best Western Mountain View, but all they had was a smoking room.  Oh well, it is nicer than my tent.  Apparently the whole crew is here somewhere, but I have not seen them yet.  Trouble with knowing everyone by trail names only is it hard to ask for room numbers!

Had a great lunch at a German bakery and then did my grocery shop. Oh yeah, had a shower and did laundry too.  All very domestic.  Met up with the rest of my "trail family" this afternoon and a bunch of us went out for Mexican and then went to see the new Pirates movie.  Thank God we only paid $4 to get in. Man, it was terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment