Wednesday 14 June 2017

Day 33 June 8, 2017

  • Daily mileage 22
  • Total mileage 587
  • Hours hiked from 5:15 am to 5:00 pm

Today was much cooler and the trail was generally downhill.  Why did it feel so hard?

So last night I chose a spot to camp that I thought would be shielded from the rising wind.  I am here to admit that I was wrong.  Way wrong.  I got buffeted by the howling wind all night long.  Sleep was hard to come by.

Got going at my usual time and finished off the uphill that I left last night.  Several times I had to stop completely to let a gust pass by or it would have knocked me on my butt or worse. After the top, the trail was actually very easy.  Part of the trail was a shared jeep road.  Not really road walking, but not really a trail either.  The goal for the morning was a water source called Golden Oak Spring. The area around the spring was awash in hikers.

Lichen covered rocks

Yummy water

More wind mills

Cowboy camping

I got going fairly early in the afternoon but the miles just did not come easily to me.  It was only 10 miles to where I am camped but it really dragged.  The heat wave we have been experienced has broken so the temperature pretty bearable. I think I was just beat from lack of sleep.

Camping spots are at a bit of a premium in this area so I am cowboy camping with 5 other hikers (Tyler, Madison, Chris, Neal and Sarah).  Hopefully we are shielded from the wind a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment