Wednesday 14 June 2017

Day 34 June 9, 2017

  • Daily mileage 22
  • Total mileage 609
  • Hiked from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm

Passed the 600 mile mark on a great day.

The cowboy camping experiment was great last night. I had pretty much the best nights sleep since I started this trail.  More to do with exhaustion than the cowboy camping experiment I would guess.  All of us had agreed to sleep in a bit this morning, so I was not up until around 5:30.  I got going fairly quickly, and immediately came across this huge flat camping area not 200 yards from our tight little space.  Oh well.

The day started out with a fairly easy climb and just got better and better.  The weather was breezy and cool which meant great hiking conditions and no bugs. Soon enough I was in a scrub forest area with a general trend towards downhill.  Even my water situation was comfortable enough that I was able to give another hiker a half of a litre because he was out and we were still about 5 miles to the spring.

Easy early morning trail

I made it to Robin Birds Spring around 11 and filled up on a couple of litres.  The group decided to meet seven miles down the trail at Landers Camp for lunch.  I was skeptical of the distance to go, but the trail was about as easy as a trail can get.  Shortly after the spring, I came to the 600 mile marker.  Yeah!  About a mile from the lunch spot, there was a road intersecting the trail.  And on that road was a minivan which really could have been there for one reason only.  Yes, trail magic.  Santa's Helper is a section hiker who is taking some time away from the trail to do trail magic.  He had cold drinks, cookies and other goodies.  Thank you Santa's Helper.
600 miles done 
A car out in the middle of nowhere means one thing! 
Easy trail
A quick mile brought us to the arranged lunch spot.  Although we are missing a few of the bubble, it was fun to get together.  Plans were made for the next long waterless stretch and then immediately revised only to be changed back again.  Group inertia at its finest

Broke away from Landers around 4:00 and hiked for a couple of more hours before settling on a ridge top camp that I hope is not going to be too windy.  The cowboy camping experiment will continue tonight.
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment