Tuesday 6 June 2017

Day 30 June 5, 2017

  • Daily mileage 18
  • Total miles 542
  • Hiked from 6:00 am to 6:15 pm

It was hot today.  Very hot.

My plan to camp on top of the inspection port did not work as the sound of running water under me was not soothing at all.  It was downright maddening. So I moved a bit and had a great sleep.

Started my day reacquiring the trail.  I had missed a turn late last night and had gone about a half mile past.  I could not figure out the geography, so I simply waited by my last known point for the next hikers to come by.  Sure enough, a married couple by the names Left and Right came along and we figured it out.

First stop of the day was a faucet water source.  As we were approaching it, the was a car where it did not belong. Sure enough, trail magic.  Zee from last year's hiking class had been doing a full blown breakfast, but all he had left were cold beers.  I mean, it would have been rude to say no, even at 8:00 am.

We got our water and I decided to carry on to the next water source some seven miles up.  Everyone else chose to stay in the shade to wait out the heat.  When I got to Tylerhorse Canyon where there was water, I headed for the shade and hid away for a couple of hours.  By about four, the heat was manageable so I got going again.  Now I am perched on top of a knob looking down on wind farms in a rather ideal camping spot. Because it is a bit breezy, I may try cowboy camping tonight for the first time. Update on that, just found a colony of red ants by my camping spot, so tent it is.

Wind farm that we hiked through

The desert is hot and dry.  Who would have imagined.

Tylerhorse Canyon water source

I have about eleven miles to cover tomorrow morning before the road to Tehachapi.  I saw in a trail register that the crew I have been hiking with are exactly one day ahead of me, so I hope they take the zero day they had talked about and that will allow me to catch up to them.

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment