Sunday 2 July 2017

Videos and a return to the trail?

I have been home in Campbell River, BC since June 24th resting and nursing a couple of sore knees (damn you sun cups!), and oh yeah, eating anything that passes anywhere close to my mouth.  At the lowest point of my weight loss, I got down to around 162 pounds from the 186 I started the trail at.  I have it back up to around 168 now.

I have embedded videos in all of the posts from my hike.  I hope that they give you a bit more of a feel for what daily life was like on the PCT.

So now it is decision time.  I have been following several blogs and other information sources and it is looking like the heat wave that is happening in California is beating up on the snow pretty good.  The Sierra are still out of the question for me due to the streams (all that melted snow has to go somewhere up there!), but the trail north from the Truckee area is starting to look pretty good.  So, although it would sully my purist attitude that a through hike involves starting at one end and walking to completion at the other end, I am considering jumping back on the trail 360 miles north of where I left it at Kearsarge Pass.  It has been gnawing away at me over the past week that I have some unfinished business with that PCT trail thing, and with the support of my amazing wife, I just may jump back on it.  It will have to be in the next week or so if I am going to have a shot at finishing Washington before the fall snowballs fly. 

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. If it is any help in swaying your decision, I enjoyed your blog posts very much - It's nice to get the perspective of an older guy, like myself, rather than hearing about a gaggle of babes talking about their boyfriends at home. Who cares if you have to jump around a little? Just get back out there and enjoy this incredibly unique and beautiful hiking season! Ryan in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been silently following you. I'm a section hiker who dreams of a thru hike when I am about your age. You have to get back on trail. I'm going to Ashland and hiking southbound next Thursday, July 13. You could do the same and have pretty much continuous footprints. Hike south until you touch your old footprints. Then go back to Ashland and go north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey CJ, I have actually booked my flights already. I am going to get back on the PCT next Wednesday at Donner Pass via Reno. Hopefully us old guys will cross paths in the near future. Thanks for following.

      Delete
  3. It's the things that go wrong and get overcome and that make the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear Jack......we look forward to following the journey

    ReplyDelete