Friday 28 July 2017

Day 61 July 25, 2017

Daily mileage 22
Total mileage 1065
Hiked from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm



Burney Falls was amazing but the rest of the day was boring.

We lost all power at the motel late yesterday afternoon. And no power  means no air conditioning. And it was hot. What was kind of cool (pun intended) was that most of us migrated out of our sweltering rooms to sit outside. And we actually socialized. One guy went and got a bunch of ice cream sandwiches and passed them around. You could almost imagine it was the 50's again.

The power came back on at about 10. Apparently it was caused by a fire in the underground service right by a gas station! That could have been exciting.

I got going a bit late this morning because I wanted to contact Osprey to see if they have shipped my replacement pack this time. Turns out they are not sure if the one that was supposed to be waiting for me in Burney was ever shipped. And after this morning's conversation, I am not convinced they have shipped this one to Dunsmuir as promised.

I got a quick hitch with a young man named Kyle. Then I was back on the trail. Less than a mile in, trail magic! The Wild Bird Cache had all kinds of hiker friendly stuff but I was fully loaded down so I did not take anything.

The Wild Bird Cache

After a few flat and uneventful miles, I came.to the highlight of the day, Burney Falls. I have seen lots of pictures of these falls in PCT blogs, but the pics do not do justice to how grand the falls are. No doubt my pics will fail the same test. What makes them somewhat unique is that much of the water going over the falls is actually being extruded out of the rock part way down the drop.

Just to prove I am out here seeing the things I talk about 

Stunning Burney Falls

After I left the Falls Loup and the 10,000 tourists on it, I realized that I shold have grabbed some water from the river. Then I rounded a corner and there was a flat of bottled water left for hikers by a lady named Kathy. Again, people out here are so amazing.

After crossing over a dam, it was time to take on the only significant climb of the day. The 2000 footer was spread out over about 7 miles so it was pretty mellow.

Dam whose name I cannot recall

So nice to have water pretty much everywhere

I decided  to camp at a water source about 22 miles from where I started this morning. I had grand illusions of going 4 more miles but I felt bagged and the campsite is too nice to pass up.

Home for the night


No comments:

Post a Comment