Monday 17 July 2017

Day 50 July 14, 2017

Miles hiked 21
Total mileage 840
Hiked from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm



Feeling like the old Silver Fox again.

Last night I shared the camp spot with a mother and daughter team from Minnesota. I felt bad getting up and rustling about getting packed up at 5:15 but I did warn them!

I blasted through the 8 or so downhill miles to Sierra City in what felt like no time at all. It was pretty hiking but that mattered not a whit to me. I had breakfast on my mind. Got to the highway and stuck out my thumb (It is about a mile and a half to town from the trail). Second car (actually it was a pickup. People who drive pickups around the PCT always pick up hitch hikers) picked me up. There was no shoulder on the road and as I was loading my pack into the cab, a highway patrol car pulls up behind us. I shrugged at him and he laughed.

Homestead for very short pioneers?

I went to the only restaurant in town and had a middling feast. It was filling but a bit devoid of flavour. What surprised me was I was the only hiker there. Where is everyone?

After pilfering Wi-Fi from the librady for a bit, it was time to get back to the trail. This time the first vehicle (pickup truck again) picked me up and dropped me at the trailhead.

Towns like Sierra City were founded conveniently at the bottoms of valleys. The C in PCT is crest. So there is generally a climb out of town. This one was 2500 feet. Big test for my stamina on my third day back. I am here to tell you it went splendidly. I crushed that hill. And the scenery on that climb was nothing short of stunning.



I really dislike this type of tread on the trail


Just so pretty on this section 

When I got to the top I had a quick conversation with a southbounder who told me two interesting things. First, after about ten more miles, I will be done with the snow until at least Oregon. Today was a completely snow free day and the fact that I am almost done with it all the way to Oregon makes my heart sing.

The second thing he told was that there would be two trail magics within the next mile. Well I hope his info about the snow is more accurate than about trail angels. Both of them had packed up for the day.

As I was getting near my target mileage for the day I was getting concerned about my water supply. So I pulled off the trail where there was a good tent site and a snowbank. I was just starting to scoop some snow into my cook pot to melt it when another southbounder came last me and said there was yet another trail magic just around the bend from me, less than 100 yards away.

Greg and Josie. Don't ask about the blow up pizza

I am here to tell you that Greg and Josie (she is class of 2011 PCT alumni) are my new best friends. They had a full spread of food, water and PBRs. I found out today that two PBRs give me super powers. If I had happened upon Thor after I had inhaled those beers, he would have taken one look at me and simply handed over his hammer. I would have given it back because of the weight and that us Canadians are polite like that, but you get the idea. I flew up the trail another mile until I found the best campsite ever.

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment