Tuesday 18 July 2017

Day 54 July 18, 2017

Daily mileage 18
Total mileage 917
Hiked from 11:30 am to 7:30 pm



That was a long nero.

I started my day in Quincy by going out for breakfast with a really great couple (Laura from Toronto and Cookie Monster from Brighton England). As we were discussing our upcoming day, I mentioned that I had to order a new pack because some bits of mine are wearing out. Cookie casually said it was too bad my pack was not an Osprey because they are so amazing on warranties. Well hang on, mine is an Osprey.

So I got on my new cell phone (who would have predicted that a phone like that could have so many useful purposes) and chatted to Christopher from Osprey and they are sending me a new pack to my next town. Amazing. If any future PCT hikers out there read this blog, do consider Osprey for your pack.

So, having completed my town jobs, I headed out to hitch back to the trail. About the tenth car by picked me up and took me to a rural area about half way to the trail. Thanks Garret. So then I am standing waiting for the first car to go by and I heat a gentleman calling out to me from the house I am standing in front of. He wanted to know if I needed a ride to Bucks Summit. That was exactly where I was headed.

So we jump in his pick up and head up the very twisty road. Then he wants to know if I want a tour of the Bucks Lake area. Giving I would not see it from the trail, I was thrilled to get the tour. John, thanks for your amazing hospitality.

Then it was off up the trail. Right off the bat, I had the only climb of the day at 1000 feet. Easy peasy. Then the trail went into cruiser mode. I even got my first glimpse oft Lassen which is the first of a long string of  volcanoes that the trail will skirt.


Mt Lassen in the distance


Alpine lakes that the trail came oh so close to

King of the castle squirrel

At about 4 pm, the trail went by a junction to a trail leading to a formal camp ground by some lakes a half mile off. I gave it a lot of consideration but decided to push on. Bad decision. Within a mile, the trail started what has to be the toughest downhill segment on the PCT to date. We are talking 3500 feet in less than 5 miles. It was so un-PCT like. It just kicked the crap out of my legs.

Q: How do you get down off a mountain?
A1: You do not. You get down off a goose.
A2: Switchbacks. Lots and lots of switchbacks. I bet there had to be 50 of them on that downhill.

There is a trail under there somewhere

Gorgeous trail

When I pulled into Belden, I headed straight for the bar/restaurant/hotel. I got two ice cold beers, the best burger on the trail so far and a room in about that order. Belden has a bit of a rep for not being hiker friendly. Must say I have not experienced anything negative here.

So what was supposed to be a short day out of town turned out to be quite a long one.

No comments:

Post a Comment