Monday 24 July 2017

Day 59 July 23, 2017

Daily mileage 26
Total mileage 1038
Hiked from 5:15 am to 5:00 pm



Hat Creek Rim done.

I was up early to maximize the cool morning hiking and was surprised to see another tent in the parking area. Michaela from Prague had the same idea as I did last night, hiking a couple of miles to get the hill out of the way. We, along with a fellow names Arizona hiked together on and off all day.

The Hat Creek Rim is regarded as one of the hottest and driest sections on the whole PCT. It is a total of 30 miles with only one spring near the start. Many of us do not go to that spring because of the elevation difference to get to it and the fact that it is only about 8 miles out from Old Station.

Looking back at Mt Lassen in the early morning

Looking ahead at Mt Shasta

Arid hiking on the Rim

There is, however, a water cache located near the midpoint. PCT hikers are averse to rely on water caches as they do require maintenance by volunteers. Anyway, I headed out with my four litres ready to make that stretch the entire 30 miles if need be. It was little sips all morning until I got to Cache 22 (it is located on Forest Road 22) where I was thrilled to find a very full water tank. Yeah. The gentleman who maintains this cache does ask for a donation via Paypal and I am here to tell you that making a $20 donation to him was a very easy decision.

Although there was a slight overcast and light breeze all morning, it was still brutally hot. My pack thermometer was pegged between 90 and 100 all day. So the three of us relaxed in some shade at the cache for a bit.

Oh yeah, I saw a bobcat on the way up to the cache. I had never seen one before so that was cool. Sorry no picture as he was gone in a flash.

I did not really have a game plan for where to camp tonight.  I did think that I would pick a place out on the Rim somewhere but the miles went by pretty easily. When I got to the first stream after the Rim, it was an easy choice. I have this perfect little spot under an oak tree all to myself. Well I am sharing it with a couple million ants.
A very volcanic landscape

Luckily there was water at Cache 22 so I did not have to get water here

Again, miles of dry trail


Tomorrow I have about a five mile hike to the road to Burney.

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment