Friday 28 July 2017

Day 62 July 26, 2017

Daily mileage 29
Total mileage 1094
Hiked from 5:30 am to 6:30 pm



A mundane morning and a spectacular afternoon.

When I set out from camp this morning, I had big mileage on my mind. I want to get to Dunsmuire somewhat early on Friday so I can send my old pack back to Osprey before the P.O. closes.

The morning featured little in the way of great vistas. It was mainly walking in the forest. Every now and then Mt Shasta would peak out at me. She is getting very close.

In the early afternoon, the trail gained a subalpine ridge and two things happened. The views went from mundane to spectacular. And I got cell service.

Hello Mt Shasta 


Trail finally out of the trees

At points on the ridge, I could look north and take in the grandeur of Shasta and then turn and look South to see endless rolling hills. And yes, I did say look north and south from the ridge. And that means the trail is heading almost due West again. Look PCT, you have one job to do and that is to provide a conduit from where I am to Canada. And if you are heading West, then you are not doing your job!

And then there was the fact that I could talk to my wife from the very middle of nowhere out in the rough and tumble. I am starting to think that these cell phone things may stick around.

Wide open Vista's 

Very impressive trail building

The deer here are really tame 

The scenery remained wonderful for the most part until I ducked back into the forest after Grizzly Peak. The trail charged down the hill until it reached Deer Spring. I was low on water so I took the short side trail to the spring, and wouldn't you know it there was the perfect campsite. So here I am 29 miles from where I slept last night.

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment