Tuesday 30 May 2017

Day 24 May 30, 2017

  • Daily mileage 17
  • Total miles 438
  • Hiked from 5:15 am to 1:00 pm

Does a day that is 17 miles long but ends at 1:00 pm qualify as a nero?

There was quite a large crowd of hikers camped at our abandoned roadside last night.  As usual, I was first up and gone. I had a small climb of about 1,000 feet right out of the hopper, but I ran into Neal from Oz just as he was packing up so we went up the hill together discussing our professions in the real world.  All of a sudden we were at the top.

The PCT only recently reopened in this area after last year's Sand Fire.  Before that, there was a very substantial road walk involved. So, although walking through the recent burn was less than stimulating, it sure beat the road walk alternative.  It seemed like no time at all had passed when I came into full view of my final destination, the Acton KOA.  But then, the PCT turned away, went uphill (the KOA was at the bottom of a valley) and proceeded to seemingly needlessly go around a fairly substantial hillside.  Why do you do this to us PCT?
     
Barron, burned desert walking    

At least there was new flowers to see 

Trail traversing a long side hill

The desert is baron yet it has its own beauty
Anyway, after awhile, I got down to the road, and there was that magical blue sign saying "Coppertone is here".  Yeah, root beer float.     

Coppertone is here!

Then it was time to go to the KOA.  First order of business, a shower.  OK, there was no soap or shampoo, but I got at least the first layer of filth and stench off.  Then I got my laundry done.  Glorious.  Then it was time for beers around the pool with the other hikers.  One thing about hiking 20 plus miles a day is that you build up a calorie deficit.  Town days like today are all about reducing that deficit.  So, I have mentioned the root beer float.  Then it was a pint of Ben and Jerrys ice cream.  Then it was a microwave chimichanga.  Then dinner arrived, a meatball sub, fries and a side Caesar salad.  As I write this, I am thinking about what else is in my food bag that I can raid!

One interesting point that I thought of today is that here on the PCT, there are three constants on your mind everyday.  First, where is the next reliable water on the trail.  Second, where should I camp tonight?  And third, when will I be in a town to do a resupply next?  You really never think in terms of where am I vis a vis Canada.  The trail is just too long to entertain that thought at this time.

4 comments:

  1. Late to comment here Jack but enjoying your blog. What a great adventure. Just to back up a little, we spent 10 days in Hemet near Idyllwild on our snowbird trip down south this winter. We loved that little town and did a number of hikes in the San Jacinto mountains with hiking club from our RV parks. We saw the PCT trails while there.
    Enjoy the journey and take care.
    Al and Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished reading your blog to May 24th and can hardly wait for the next weeks worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack:

    I worked for two summers on the Angeles National Forest on Highway 2...One summer at Crystal Lake campground, and one summer on Mt Baldy on a Hot Shot crew....toughest job I ever had before then and to now!! By the way, locals call rattlesnakes "Buzz Tails". You are doing great. Stay safe! Steve Lackey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your adventures Jack. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next chapters of your hike.

    ReplyDelete