Wednesday 10 May 2017

Day 2 May 8, 2017

  • Daily miles 20
  • Total miles 40
  • Hiked from 6am to 4 pm


OK, that one was tough.  The second day is always hard on a hike because your legs are a bit stiff and sore from day 1 and you aren't quite as gung-ho.  That was certainly the case for me today.

Today was all about uphill.  I started the day at around 2,000 feet elevation and ended here at Mount Laguna at around 6,000 feet.  I'll let you do the math!  But the weather was great, slight overcast and cool all day.

Today started out with a very easy six miles from Morena to Boulder Oaks.  Had to take my shoes off to ford Cottonwood Creek twice.  Little baby steps for the crossings that await me in the Sierra. 
First of two crossings of Cottonwood Creek

Then the trail went under Interstate 8 and the climbing began.  The grade of the trail was pretty easy all day, but it was just a very long slog uphill.  Again, the scenery is not breath taking, but the certainly is a raw beauty to the high desert.
 
Looking back on I8
 
Pretty typical view

As the climb got higher, small patches of snow, remnants of yesterday's storm started showing up.  This was a bit worrisome as there was no way of knowing if the camping area I was heading for would be snow free.



First small patch of snow.  Do not worry, I got around it


More snow as the trail gained elevation

I finally got to Mount Laguna and was very relieved to see the camp ground was pretty much snow free.  PCT hikers are cordoned off into our own area (ok, we are starting to smell a bit ripe, so I guess that makes sense).  There are around 20 of us camping here tonight.  Because it is a State campground, there are even hot showers.  I had a really fine evening chatting with hikers and sharing a few beers around a campfire.  The only bummer was that the only restaurant in town (and I use that term lightly) closes at 3 on Mondays, so no town food.
 
Home for the night

1 comment: