Tuesday 16 May 2017

Day 10 May 16, 2017

  • Daily miles 0
  • Total miles 177
Some astute readers may question how on a day with zero miles hiked, my total miles hiked went from 164 to 177.  That is because the trail is closed in the section between those figures.  So I am just adjusting now for the new total.  I figure I have walked plenty of non-trail miles to make up the difference.

Idyllwild is a really great little town to take a zero in. It is pretty funky and, more importantly from a hikers point of view, everything we need is in easy walking distance.  That is something that I have noticed in a generalist sense.  Here we are as hikers, prepared to tackle a 2,650 mile long trail, but ask us to to walk a mile to a restaurant will cause some to hitch a ride instead.  Odd.
It is a very hiker friendly town.

So i have completed everything on my to-do list in town and it is only 1:30 in the afternoon.  I am really glad that I prepaid for the room tonight or I think I would have been tempted to head out onto the trail.  I have a bit of an issue with one ankle and I think spending the rest of the afternoon resting and icing it will so it a world of good.  But still.....

Well, back on the trail tomorrow with Big Bear Lake as the next objective.
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK ....so I am still learning how to post on your blog Jack....I'm technically challenged.
      I see you are making good progress on your trip....way to go Jack !! Linda and I visited Idyllwild, (by truck of course) 4 years ago when we were staying at Desert Hot Springs...beautiful Pine country and I can imagine great hiking country. I think the fire that you refer to had just burned in that area. Your old marathon buddy says "take care of that tired ankle....your'e going to need it"
      Look forward to following your blog Jack......safe journeys

      cheers
      Tom

      Delete
    2. Great to hear from you Tom. Yeah this area is great. I do not think the ankle will amount to much. I used to get the same thing back in our running days and it was never long lived. Say hi to Linda and the kids please.

      Delete