Sunday 21 May 2017

Day 15 May 21, 2017

  • Daily mileage 9
  • Total miles 263
  • Hours hiked 5:00 am to 9:00 am

Today qualifies as a nero or near zero day.

By the time I got to bed last night there must have been 20 other hikers sharing the site.  Because there were a couple of picnic tables available, it was a very pleasant social scene.  I am definitely the oldest in the bubble that I am hiking in but they are a good bunch of "kids" and I quite enjoy their company.

Got going pretty much at first light and made good time of the remaining 9 miles that would take me to the highway crossing and into Big Bear.  The trail was basically flat and fast.  I ran into a fellow that I have been leap frogging with for about a week by the name of Phil.  His girl friend (Tory) was picking him up at the trail head and he graciously offered me a ride to town with them.

Flat, fast trail

The first Joshua tree on the trail

When I got to the highway, there was trail magic awaiting!  A delightful gentleman who goes by the name of Diamond Dave (if I remember correctly) was waiting with his jeep packed full of fresh fruit and cold soda drinks.  Oh yeah.

Diamond Dave

Dave had recommended a hotel that is somewhat central to all the wants and needs of a hiker in town.  So I got dropped off at the Black Forest Lodge where not only did they have a room for the night, but they had one ready at 10:00 am so I could drop my stuff off rather than having to pack it around with me.  For any future hikers who may read this, do check out this hotel when you get to Big Bear.  Fairly central to a hikers needs, huge rooms and I thought pretty reasonable rates.

Next order of business was a real breakfast.  I had already had a couple of breakfast bars, but they just were not cutting it. The choice was a family run diner or Denny's, both right across the street.  I went with family run and a good choice it was.  The omelette I got could have fed a small village in Africa for a day, but hiker hunger has kicked in so it was vanquished in short order.

Town days for a through hiker seem to involve a whole lot of mundane tasks that all take time.  Next task for me was laundry.  I do not have a lot to do, but dear God it is pungent.  So I found a laundromat a couple of blocks away and started the wash. But what do you do for an entire wash cycle?  Well, there was a sports bar right next door.  So I went in and had a couple of really great, really cold beers.  I was starving again so I got some calamari which was only ok, but what was I thinking ordering seafood in the desert!   Had a great chat with the barkeep about marathons of all things.  I do not get why people say that doing laundry is not enjoyable!

So now, either tonight when it is cooler or tomorrow morning I will walk the mile or so to the grocery store to get some food for the next section to Cajun Pass.

Trail names are a thing on the PCT and other long trails.  Last we talked about one for me, I had been offered the name Silver Fox.  I guess it has stuck as folks on the trail are referring to me thus and I even signed a trail register with that name yesterday.  But one guy tried shortening it to Foxy.  I have been and will be many things in my life, but a person named "Foxy" will never be one of those things.  That one got nipped in the bud promptly.   

My very expansive but somewhat grandmotherly room for the night

5 comments:

  1. Glad you found your accommodations appropriate. I know you enjoyed the food at grizzly manner. They always serve up great grub. Have a great hike Silver Fox. Hope to see you again!
    Diamond Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave, thanks again for the trail magic today. You can have no idea how much it is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Hike well my friend.
      Heading up for more magic this morn in case you need a lift

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to more of your posts as you progress. Hike well brother. Let me know if you need anything along the way

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete