Tuesday 30 May 2017

Day 23 May 29, 2017

  • Daily mileage 21
  • Total miles 421
  • Hiked from 5:15 am to 6:00 pm

Today was about walking through a very large fire from a few years back

Nobody else joined me at my tent site last night so I had a very good sleep.  Got up at the usual time and got going in the nice cool weather.  Went past several tents whose occupants walk different hours than me.

The day was spent for the most part walking through the remnants of the Station Fire.  That fire must have been huge.  And tragic, as I understand several firefighters were killed while fighting the fire.  I eventually came to the Mill Creek Summit Fire Station where several of us waited out the worst of the heat in the shadow of the station.  While we were there, one of the 2:20 marathoners that we met yesterday showed up with a bag of mangoes and some apples and bananas.  I mean really, how great are these people.
      
Walking through the Station Fire    

Ken (on the right) one of the 2:20 marathoners with Neal the Australian through hiker

The afternoon hike was very humid and a bit buggy.  The first hill out of the station looked benign on the profile but it kicked the crap out of all of us.  The combination of heat, humidity and a loose sand track just sucked.  But I made it to the top and then cruised to what I had previously chosen as my destination for the night.  A note for future hikers: do not be tempted into staying at the Big Buck camp ground which is shown on all of the maps.  It does not exist.  Not sure if it did exist before the fire, but there is nothing there now.  So, at 5:00 I found myself without a home.  I hiked up the trail with a very cool couple by the names of Pebbles and Bam Bam and together we found a flat spot next to what I hope is an unused road.
     
Mill Creek Fire Station
Just above us is the remnants of a old forestry camp that was destroyed in the fire.  I got as close as the fences would allow to look around.  Very creepy as all of the non-cement parts of the buildings are gone yet the telephone poles are still standing.

A whole lot of other hikers have now joined our roadside oasis, but I suspect everyone will be passed out very soon.
Burned out forestry camp      
Evening in burn area      
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment