Wednesday 10 May 2017

Day 3 May 9, 2017

  • Daily Miles - 18
  • Total Miles - 58
  • Hiked from 7:15 am to 4:00 pm

Well that was an interesting day.  Spent the whole morning with nothing to look at because the fog was so thick and then spent the whole afternoon hiking solo.


 Big vista early in the morning

The picture above shows a great view point I came to early in the morning.  You can see the fog rolling in at that time.  



Lost in the fog

Then this was the view the rest of the morning.  I mean it made for great hiking because it was cool, but it would have been.nice to see something! 

The afternoon broke cloudy and cool, but no fog.  And there were some great vistas out there.  I was hiking way up on a ridge looking thousands of feet down on the desert below.  At one point the trail was an old abandoned highway that obviously gets used by the local hang gliders.  There were a bunch of memorial plaques commemorating those who did not land safely.


Looking way down on the desert

The trail on an abandoned highway

The thing that was missing all afternoon were fellow hikers.  Before i left for this hike, the most common question I got asked was whether I was hiking the trail with anyone.  Well, in the first two days, I would fall in with a group, never hiking directly with them, but leap frogging each other all day.  Today, I saw one fellow (who is now sharing this campsite with me) early in the morning, then two young ladies early in the afternoon, and nobody else.  But I did see a coyote.  There is coyote scat all over the trail (I mean why travel in the chapperal when there is a perfectly good path), but this was the first one I actually saw.

Now I am in camp and in bed at 6:30.  Living the dream!




Put my four year old Sawyer Squeeze water filter to work here for the first time


Camp for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment