Wednesday 8 May 2019

PCT 2019 Day 1 May 4/19

Daily mileage 20
Total mileage 20 (duh)
Hiked from 7 am to 6 pm

That was some kind of welcome back there PCT.



My ever patient wife and son got up at 4 am so that we could travel from Anaheim  (we spent four days doing things that are the complete antithesis to hiking) so I could get an early start to my day. 

After signing the register and taking the obligatory photos, I was off.  Actually my son was off with me for the first two miles.  We met up with my wife at the designated place and then I was off on my own.

At the Southern monument

Walking with my son. I could not convince him to carry my pack

The day broke cool but sunny.  It did not take long for the cool to be replaced by pretty darn warm.  Not outright hot but definitely warm.

One unexpected cool thing that happened was there was a training hike happening in the opposite direction on the trail.  It was for an upcoming fundraiser for the San Diego branch of the Make a Wish Foundation.  The same event that I walked through in the Big Bear area in 2017.  This year they are estimating that they will raise almost a half million dollars in the event.  Pretty cool.

So back to my hike.  To put it simply, it started well and then the trail kicked the crap out of me.  I was really struggling with the two largish uphills, particularly the second one out of Hauser Canyon.  It was warm and it turns out that I am old and not in tiptop shape. 
Dry hot trail
Fauna

Flora

Typical scenery

Lake Morena at last

But, with the aid of a couple of breaks that may have involved naps, I made it into Lake Mareno.
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment