Wednesday 8 May 2019

PCT 2019 Day 2 May 5/19

Daily mileage 21
Total mileage 41
Hiked from 6:30 am to 5:30 pm

Trail magic and a very long hill.



I slept like a log last night despite the freezing temperatures.  To put an exclamation point on that, there was ice on my tent this morning.

I got going a bit later than I would have liked.  Just not in the routine yet.  The first six miles were flat and fast.  Then the trail showed her mean side. That was a three thousand foot climb over the course of about 13 miles. I am sure that later in this hike when I have acquired my trail legs, a climb like this will be no problem.  But at this stage of the hike, it is a problem.  Oh well, I made it to Mt Laguna whipped but no worse for wear.

Goodbye Interstate 8

The geology around this area is fascinating

A wet winter equals a green desert in places


About half way up the climb, we came to a highway crossing.  And there was a car parked there with a gaggle of hikers around it. That can only mean one thing.  Trail magic!
Leigh and her trail magic

Leigh from Pine  Valley is providing trail magic every Sunday which made us a lucky bunch of hikers.  Gateraid, cold water, sandwiches, fruit and candy. What more could a hiker ask for. If you ever read this, you rock Leigh.

The day started out cold and never made it past warmish. Add to that a final elevation of 6,000 feet as well as a brisk wind and it was actually quite cold by the time I got to Laguna.  So, to stay in my tent or get a room at the only "Lodge" in town.  Well that was easy.  So here I sit in a cabin for which I doled out way too much money and had to endure the grumpiest inn keep I have ever dealt with.  But I am warm, freshly showered and listening to the wind pick up out there.
Every now and then we get to hike through forest instead of chapparel

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment