Thursday 9 May 2019

PCT 2019 Day 3 May 6/19

Daily mileage  22
Total mileage 63
Hours hiked 6:30 am to 4:00 pm

Easy hiking and lots of wind.



I slept very well in my dingy little cabin.  The wind gathered strength throughout the night and I awoke to a very misty and windy morning.

The profile for today's hike showed basically flat ending in a steep downhill.  And that is what the trail provided.  Basically cruiser trail.  I even managed my first ten by ten (ten miles by ten am).

The mist burnt off around mid morning meaning I could take in the sweeping vistas.  Just stunning.
Misty morning trail

Clearing up


I believe that is the Salton Sea in the upper right

Oriflamme Creek.  Yes I did get drinking water from there!





An abandoned section of the Sunrise Hwy repurposed to be part of the PCT

By late afternoon a few rain clouds made a brief appearance.  Just a few sprinkles but enough to urge forward progress.

At the end of the hiking day, I decided to grab a rather luxe campsite and get set up early in case of rain. I could have milked a few more miles out but stopping seemed prudent.  Now I am regretting that decision as I listen to a loud group in the site next to me going on about how they are bad ass hiker trash.  If you have to announce that status, then you probably are not.
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment