Thursday 9 May 2019

PCT 2019 Day 4 May 7/19

Daily mileage 21
Total mileage 85
Hours hiked 6:00 am to 4:00 pm

The day that not very much happened.



I got up near first light after an unexpectedly poor sleep and was away quickly. The miles just came hard today. It was in no way a punishing day elevation wise and the day was cool, albeit extremely windy, but I just was not feeling it.  But I am still early on in this hike.  The trail legs will come.

Random sign post


The trail ahead

I cannot recall being filthier in my life.  The last natural water source was Oriflamme Creek yesterday around noon.  Since then we have relied on the generosity of trail angels to provide water.  It would be the height of ingracious behavior to use donated water to do anything but drink it, so the filth gathers. Oh well, I should be in Warner Springs later tomorrow or early Thursday.

I know that before the start of this hike I said I would stretch out my hiking day rather than picking an arbitrary distance for the day.  Well, there goes that notion. What I had forgotten or ignored was just how whipped I am at the end of around 20 miles.
The cacti blooms are stunning




The trail behind


The misty fog on the hills I hiked in yesterday

Granite Mountain


Well, here is hoping for a calm night.  I am tucked away from the wind somewhat, but Big Agnes is getting rocked a bit already. BTW Big Agnes is my tent you filthy minded readers.
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment