Monday 13 May 2019

PCT 2019 Day 7 May 10/19

Dailey mileage 22 (plus 1 that didn't count
Total mileage 131
Hours hiked 6:00 am to 5:00 pm

A day spent mostly in the clouds.



Having gone to bed (and not to sleeping pad) around 9 pm last night, I was very surprised when the alarm went off at 5:30.  Ugh I could always take another zero!  But no, Canada remains the same distance away when my feet are not shuffling up the PCT.

The hotel is located about a mile from the trail. There was a cheat available that would have shaved a couple of miles off my day, but once I start cheating at this PCT thing, why not do the Big cheat and fly back home!

The day's hike began with a flat fast stroll through some fields. A very fast hiker jolted me out of my daydreams when he asked to get past me. It was a young guy who goes by the trailname of Machine. I had not seen him since just before Laguna. We caught up with some trail chat later in the day.
There were some serious rain storms around here this winter


The trail meandered up a stream valley before turning it's attention to the Big climb of the day (around 2,000 feet).  As I climbed higher, we (we being the trail and I) got closer and closer to the high fog or low cloud that had been just above the trail all morning. Then I went into the mist.

That made for nice cool hiking but adios to any vistas.
Cruiser trail

Climbing into the mist

Limited views


The rest of the climb went fine. I stopped to get a couple of litres of water from a trail angel' s place before tackling the last of the climb.

Water provided by Trail Angel Mike H

There are not many camping spots in this part of the trail so I grabbed the first one I saw. Funny part is I think I camped in this exact same spot in 2017 on the 7th night of that hike.
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment