Monday 25 February 2019

PCT ver 2 getting close

In less than 10 weeks, I will be back on the Pacific Crest Trail.  And guess what? It is snowing in the Sierra like crazy. Not 2017 levels, but well above average.  Man, can I pick them!

So, given that this will be my second crack at this trail, I do get asked just what it is that I will do differently this time around.  I need to preface the answer to that question with the proviso that I am very proud that I was able to complete over 1350 trail miles in one of the most challenging hiking years on the PCT in recent memory.  What I am trying to say is that I don't believe that I have to make gigantic adjustments, but several tweeks are in order.

First, there is food consumption. I lost about 28 pounds over the course of 73 days on trail.  While it was nice to revisit my high school weight, it was obvious that I could not continue loosing at that rate.
This was me on Day 1 at 186 pounds

This was me on the second to last day of my 2017 hike at 158 pounds

So this time around, I simply must make a bigger effort to eat more.  Unfortunately food weighs a lot. But c'est la vie. I will just have to suck it up.  Also, taking town food like a burger or sub out will help.  And I have to quit being so conservative on the consumption.  Several times I ended up packing food into the next trail town because I was always lording over the calorie budget.

Next up - gear.  I really liked the vast majority of the gear I carried.  But minor upgrades are good. I have gone out and bought a very lightweight closed foam sleeping pad.  This will serve two purposes. First, it will make a first rate seating pad.  But it will hopefully also protect my inflatable sleep pad.  I had lots of issues with small holes in the pad last time.  My theory is that if I put the foam pad under the inflatable one it will reduce the incidence of punctures.

This time, I am going to carry a cell phone right from the start.  Seriously, these new portable telephones are incredible.   Everyone should try one. 

The other item that falls under gear is footwear.  Simply put, I asked too much of my trail runners. I will have to figure out a way to replace these shoes on the fly more frequently.
Yeah, maybe 850 miles on a pair of trail runners was too much

Another change I want to strive for is on the mental side.  Simply stated, I want to be more flexible regarding the duration of my hiking day.  Rather than arbitrarily setting a distance goal each day, I want to just hike each day until it feels like I should stop.  Oddly this will likely mean more mileage rather than less most days.

Also on the mental side of the ledger, I know I will have to be cognoscente of the fact that the social side of the hike will be different this go round. I was extremely fortunate to fall in with a group on the trail in 2017 that was amazing.  The chances of recapturing that lightening in a bottle are slim.
The group I hiked with in 2017.  We were known simply as "The Big Group"

Finally, I want to take more photos and video. So many times on the trail, I would get past an outstanding feature, person or event and then wonder why I did not immortalize it at the time.  In my defense I am of the generation where a photo had to be developed and printed at substantial cost.  OK that is a poor excuse but it is the best I can do.

So there are the tweeks I think are necessary for my PCT 2019 adventure.  Now it is back to the couch for some more training.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jack, I've been thinking on these points recently myself. I've got a similar yet smaller scale story. Attempted in 2017, lost 20lb in 3 wks (more food!✓) Back for another go starting in two weeks! So excited and ready for a long winter/spring. For me: more photos and better quality, Warmer sleeping bag ✓ Be more social :) Thanks for the inspiration. Maybe see you out there. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great hike. Try to clear as much snow off the Sierra mountains as you can please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'This time, I am going to carry a cell phone right from the start. Seriously, these new portable telephones are incredible. Everyone should try one. '
    Get on the boat, dad. The future is here. Embrace cell phones - but don't forget to hit the check in button every night on the spot.

    Finally, I want to take more photos and video. So many times on the trail, I would get past an outstanding feature, person or event and then wonder why I did not immortalize it at the time.
    Please use the cell phone I gave you.






    ReplyDelete