Monday 7 August 2017

Day 72 Aug 5, 2017

Daily mileage 28
Total mileage 1325
Hiked from 5:30 am to 6:45 pm



Last full day in California.

Well today was one of those days when the miles being hiked fought back. I was moving with great lethargy all day today. I even took several breaks, including an afternoon nap but nothing got me out of low gear.

I had about 1800 feet of the big climb out of the Seiad Valley left to do first thing this morning. It went ok as opposed to the rest of the miles today. There was a slight overcast and a cooling breeze most of the day also. The breeze eventually blew most of the smoke out of the valleys below me.


Early morning shots are my favourites

Ran into these bare areas today where nothing grows. Not sure what the geology is behind them.

More typical meadow on the trail

The only reason I could come up with for my tough day was that I ate poorer than normal yesterday, having foregone supper in favour of a second milkshake. Hopefully that is all it was as I have potential for a 30 miler tomorrow. I am bulking up supper tonight to try to make tomorrow as smooth as possible. Mushroom rice Sidekick with a pouch of tuna and a half an avocado along with a smidge of curry powder. Yum.

There was really not a whole lot interesting today. No grand vistas or funny stories. Kind of boring. But the big news is that I am camped within 3 miles of the Oregon/California border tonight. Goodbye California early tomorrow. I mean it only took me 72 days to hike through the State and I even skipped a bunch of miles. That is one long State.

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment