Monday 7 August 2017

Day 69 August 2, 2017

Daily mileage 15
Total mileage 1249 (2000 Km's done!)
Hiked from 10:30 am to 5:00 pm



A nice days hike that ended with a killer campsite.

One thing that I forgot to mention about yesterday is that whenever Veins and I would see each other on the walk into Etna, we would remind each other that all this walking was worth it because there is a brew pub in town with a reputatation for great beer. So we get to town all geared up for this beer and good food experience only to find out they close on Tuesdays. So instead we ended up at a diner eating meh pasta. Sometimes the trail gives, sometimes she takes away.


So this morning was reminiscent of most town mornings. Try to sleep in but fail. Have a breakfast that someone else cooks. I went to a local bakery that served great quality but low quantity. Do your food shop. Ray's Market was amazing. They have truly figured out that there is a market to be had in PCT hikers. Then pack up and go.

Downtown Etna

I got a hitch with the third vehicle (another pick up truck) and was back to my trail by midmorning. For once there was no massive climb out of town. As a matter of fact the whole hike today was pretty mellow. Which was good bcause it was stupid hot.

Not far from the start today there was a trail register. I had lots of time so I leafed back through it to see any familiar names. And then it hit me that there just were not a ton of names period. I mean, maybe there were 400 or so but that just does not seem to be many hikers.

The snow and stream crossings in the Sierra basically broke the hikers into four groups this year. Those fearless few who went straight through. I would guess maybe half of them have passed this point. Then there are those like me who skipped ahead. Most of us should be at or past this area because I went home for three weeks while most everyone else kept hiking. Another group flipped ahead generally to Ashland and hiked south. They should all be past this point because I am only about 100 miles from Ashland. And finally there were those who went home and stayed there.

So you can see my math in saying that only 400 hikers signing that registry is shockingly low. Particularly when you realize that over 3300 PCT permits were issued this year.

But enough about all that. From Etna to my next "town" at Seiad Valley, it is only 58 miles. So today I could back off the mileage and still be able to make it there in the cool part of the morning on Friday (there is a long road walk into town which will be very hot). So when I saw this little lake (Fisher Lake) with a campsite at 15 miles for the day on my map, I figured that would be my target.

And a good target it was. It is just a beautiful little spot and so far I have all to myself. I did not go for a swim but I did dangle my legs in and get cleaned up. Then I just sat there for an hour soaking my feet and watching salamanders.


That is how close the PCT got to a forest fire


Fisher Lake

Of all the critters I have seen on the PCT, salamanders and chipmunks have to be the most polar opposites. Let me explain. When you see a chipmunk heading up the trail before it sees you, it is always running at full speed. When it sees you, it locks up all four brakes  (the little puff of dust always makes me chuckle) and tears off down the trail at the same speed. They simply do not know how to walk! Then there are salamanders. They lead life going at a very relaxed pace with no apparent concerns in the world. K, maybe I have too much time to think out here!

All in all, a very relaxing and good day.

Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment