Tuesday 1 August 2017

Day 67 July 31, 2017

Daily mileage 29
Total mileage 1211
Hiked from 5:30 am to 6:30 pm

(Yes, I know that the video is backwards with the afternoon report before the morning report. Get over it!)

That was an excellent day of hiking but I sure wish the trail would stop going south.

For as much as my sleep the night before was horrid, last night I slept like the dead. This despite the rather loud couple sharing the site. OK, I might have been petty and broken camp rather loudly early this morning.

The morning was quite smoky, apparently from a fire to the south of us. As a result, the views from the trail were diminished. Bit it was still beautiful.

I believe this is a species of carnivorous plants specific to this area. It is called California Pitcherplant and they trap and digest insects 

Typical trail

If an area is called Trinity Alps it had better be stunning. It was.






Towards the end of the morning, the trail crossed Hwy 3. Now this highway is rather remote where the trail crosses it, so I did not have any hopes for trail magic. And that always makes for the best trail magic!

Trail magic!

Trapper, who thru hiked in 2015 was set up with everything that a hiker desires but does not carry. Beer, sodas, sandwich stuff, cookies and chairs. Glorious, glorious chairs. I hung around there for about an hour before getting back to the business of hiking.

The next section started out with two modest hills totaling about 1800 feet. It must have been the beer and mint Oreos that gave me an abundance of energy for those lumps.

Part way up the first hill there was a sign saying the trail was entering the Trinity Alps area. Now, if you are going to give an area a rather grandiose name like that, the scenery had better be special. Well, it was. Short of the bit of the Sierra that I saw, it was the nicest scenery on the trail so far.

One complaint that I do have from today is the about half of the day was spent walking South. Away from Canada. Is that not a little bit counterproductive?

I am camped with Veins again tonight and we plan to make short work of the remaining 23 miles to the trailhead leading to Etna tomorrow.

Home.for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment