Tuesday 1 August 2017

Day 65 July 29, 2017

Daily mileage 19
Total mileage 1154
Hiked from 10:30 am to 7:00 pm



That was a long uphill on a hot day.

Started out the day having breakfast with a couple of fellow senior hikers Frog (whom I met in Warner Springs) and the other guy whose name I have forgotten (Steve I think). Told you it was a seniors gathering.

I had contacted a local trail angel last night about getting a ride back to the trail this morning. So at about 10 he is there to pick me up. I expected he would have a bunch of other hikers with him but it was just me. I mean, how great are these people. And he would not accept any gas money. Tony, if you ever read this, I hope you get your PCT hike next year.

So with the temperature hovering around the boiling point of water, I headed out to do one of the bigger hills to date. Where I started at the I5, I was at 2200 feet. Where I am camped tonight I am at 6300 feet. Did I mention that it was hot? But the climb actually went really well. Maybe the 1100 plus miles of hiking is actually getting me into shape.

One great thing about gaining all that elevation is that it took me back up into the subalpine. The views were stunning. The feature that dominated the view today was Castle Crags. But late in the day, Mt Shasta entered the picture again looking as majestic as before.

Km's?


Packing out fresh tomatoes for the first couple of days is so worth it!




Castle Crags area was stunning

Mt Shasta still in the viewscape 

So I used my new, if somewhat small pack today and what a difference. It felt like I had a day pack on. I was not having to periodically shift the pack around to find comfortable positions.

Tonight I am camped with another fellow senior named Veins. I hiked with him for the last 4 miles to this camp and had a really nice conversation with him. Our kids are the same ages and he owns a retail store. Nice guy.

Well that is the story of my day. It was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment