Tuesday 1 August 2017

Day 68 August 1, 2017

Daily mileage 23
Total mileage 1234
Hiked from 5:30 am to 4:00 pm



Town Day!

At 23 miles to hike, that was the longest run into town that I have done yet. And what looked like easy hiking on the maps and profiles was actually quite arduous.

Both Veins and I were away at first light. The first few miles were easy and we crushed them. But then we entered the Russian Wilderness and everything just seemed to get more difficult. It did not help that the day was hot and we were in a burn area for a long while. But it was also very beautiful so there was that.

Goodbye Trinity Alps, hello Russian Wilderness

John (Veins) from North Carolina. He has been my Southern Redneck hiking buddy this week



Russian Wilderness beauty

If you look carefully you can see the PCT climbing up through the old burn area 

Our relentless pursuit of the highway to town was abruptly interrupted (or at least it was for me) when the trail came within a few yards of Paynes Lake. It was far too hot and the lake was far too inviting, so in I went. It was a wonderful break.

Paynes Lake, my private swimming hole

Another lake that was too far off trail to investigate 

Then it was back to the charge to the trailhead. When I got there, Veins was just getting into a pick up truck. I raced over and was rewarded with a ride to town.

Once we had completed the very narrow, winding roads (complete with a civilized discussion about President Uknowwho), I got dropped off at the town's main motel. Sold out. Drat.

So I wandered off to a small hotel, the Collier House and got a huge room/suite for the night. No air conditioning, but still superior to Big Agnes.

I had dinner with Veins at an ok little diner and then called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment