Friday 19 July 2019

PCT 2019 ver 2 Day 6 July 15

Daily mileage 22
Trip mileage 127
Total PCT mileage 1482
Hiked from 6 am to 5 pm

Crater Lake Day

I got up a bit later than normal because I knew I only had a little over 2 miles to the Rim Village and breakfast.

Unlike the PCT, any other trail that I have hiked has taken the challenge of getting up a hill seriously. The PCT tends to meander about, kind of gently easing you up  the hill.  Well the connector trail to the Rim is not the PCT and it took getting up the hill very seriously. But I made it in plenty of time for breakfast. And the meal was well worth the hike up.

After sating my desire for both food and coffee, it was time to hike the Rim.  I mean, what else can I say other than wow. I chose to end my PCT hike in 2017 because the Rim Trail was closed due to forest fires. Having seen the trail today, I made a good decision two years ago.  It was simply amazing.
Early morning mist on Crater Lake






Pictures do not capture just how beautiful the lake was 

Proof I was actually there

The trail parallels the Rim Road which was awash with clean smelling car tourists. I caught a few wrinkled noses on my way past. Hey, I showered yesterday.

At one point, there was a "Trail Closed" sign across the Rim Trail. Not wanting to road walk any of this magnificent section, I simply walked around the sign. Everything was perfectly fine with that decision until I got to the other end of the closure. There was a park ranger ahead. He was actually shoveling snow from the trail in the one stretch that could possibly be close to sketchy. When I got up to him, he was just as friendly as all get out and wished me a good hike. My theory is that PCT hikers are regarded as back country hikers that can handle a little snow whereas the car tourists are more front country hikers, usually in flip flops with a gaggle of kids in tow and they should likely not be venturing into a trail with sloping snow. Snobbish, perhaps, but that is my theory.

Sadly, all good things must come to an end and it was back down to reconnect with the actual PCT. And back into the green tunnel. But at least it was very easy hiking.
Mt McLoughlin on the front right and way back on the left, one last look at Mt Shasta

Next up, Mt Thiessen, looking a bit like Mt Doom from this angle


I have been trying to do twice daily videos which I embed once I am back home. But I have had to suspend that practice because my phone will not charge. Arg, electronics and hiking do not mix well. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this when I get to the next real town, Sisters.
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment