Sunday 14 July 2019

PCT 2019 ver 2 Day 1 July 10

Today's mileage 23
Total mileage 23
Total PCT mileage 1378
Hiked from 7 am to 5:30 pm

Hello PCT. I missed you



To say that today, as the first day back on the trail went well is a bit of an understatement.

But first, yesterday. I made the three flight op down to Medford no worse for wear. Checked in to my hotel, bought fuel and a few other necessities and that was that.

Got up around 6 this morning so so to partake in the very middling breakfast at the hotel then I got myself a Lyft and off I went to the trail.

The morning was cool, the trail was relatively flat and there were no bugs.  And it stayed that way most of the day.

Welcome to Oregon with a morning beer

First PCT sign

Typical trail in the green tunnel

There was one modest climb of about 1,000 feet, but it was gentle and right at the start of the day when my legs were freshest. I did not intend to go quite this far, but water sources dictated my end point.

Great water source

Not so great water source

I only saw one other PCT hiker all day. Walkabout  from Australia (where else would a hiker named Walkabout be from!)  Other than that it was several groups of day hikers.  With the large and late snow pack this year, I think there are hikers spread thin all around the trail.

On my last day in 2017, I was hiking into Ashland. I could see a rather unique looking rock formation on the other side of I5. I remember thinking I bet the trail gets close to that sharks fin looking rock. Sure enough  I hiked right past Pilot Rock (Sharks Fin would have been a better name).

Pilot Rock from the south
Pilot Rock from the north


The ever present Mt Shasta


Well, first day of this iteration of my PCT hike is done. And so am I. Till tomorrow....
I walked all day just to get back to where I could see pretty much where I started on I5

Home for the night


No comments:

Post a Comment