Thursday 18 July 2019

PCT 2019 ver 2 Day 4 July 13

Daily mileage 21
Trip mileage 88
Total PCT mileage 1443
Hiked from 5:45 am to 4:30 pm

Devils Peak done



Got up around 5:30 after a particularly poor night's sleep. There was a deer rustling around outside my tent for what seemed most of the night.

Got the flat areas done quickly and then started the climb up to Devils Peak. The Oregon PCT showed some real teeth on that climb. A couple of times I had to stop and check my GPS to make sure I was on the right trail. It was steep in places and the PCT is rarely that.
Getting up into the sub-alpine

First snow on or near the trail

South side of Devils Peak

Got to the top and was thrilled to see only a few patches of snow on the north face. Until a couple of weeks ago  this descent has been very sketchy. 
Tough trail building through scree slopes

North side of Devils Peak. The one large snow patch was the only bit that was challenging to cross

Again, north side of Devils Peak

The rest of the day was spent wandering along in the forest. I was not on top of my hiking game and the afternoon miles seemed to come hard. I packed it in early because I am set up nicely with a 15 mile day to get to Mazama Village and Crater Lake tomorrow.
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment