Friday 19 July 2019

PCT 2019 ver 2 Day 8 July 17

Daily mileage 25
Trip mileage 175
Total PCT mileage 1530
Hiked from 5:45 am to 5:45 pm

It is not an alternate, it is a variant.



Got going at more or less my standard time. Much like yesterday, the first quarter mile or so was very painful on my right knee. Then everything got warmed up and I was back up to my lethargic top speed.

Made it to Windigo Pass where again some amazing Trail Angels provide us hot thirsty hikers with a water cache.
Easy hiking in the green tunnel

Water provided by amazing trail angels

At this point, I could stay on the true PCT or take an alternate trail called the Oregon Skyline Trail. The alternate, or variant as I prefer to call it gained less elevation, took a shorter route and went past several lakes. OST it is. Funny part is, this trail rarely was anywhere near the Skyline, but I guess a trail called the Oregon Through Scrubby Pine Forest Trail would not attract many hikers.

The hike went well. The trouble I have with this bum knee is that it gets grumpy if I stop for any time at all. So it kind of forces me to do a bit of a continuous march.


Lots of lakes and ponds along the away


The lakes were all very pretty  but the best was saved for last. Diamond View Lake had Diamond Peak as a backdrop. Just beautiful. If it had not been so packed with mosquitoes (as was most of the day), I would have camped there in a heartbeat.
The aptly names Diamond View Lake

I got to Shelter Cove Resort and was thrilled to see the grill was still open. Ended up sitting with a young lady named Vitamin C who is also fighting an injury. So she and I are going to figure out a way out of here tomorrow and fly back to our respective corners of the world.
Home for the night


I also ate with Walkabout and Scooter. I met both of these hikers on my second day out. I had something with a connection with Scooter (lovely lady from Dallas) because we hiked at pretty much the same pace and camped together a few times. I had something of a special connection with Walkabout because he is the only other hiker I met who was subjected to the old nudist hikers.

But back to making travel arrangements. That is right, I am quitting this damned trail yet again. My knee is sore enough that I am afraid of doing long term damage if I keep hiking on it.  At 63, I guess I had  better start thinking about preserving all functioning joints and parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment