Tuesday 18 July 2017

Day 52 July 16, 2017

Daily mileage 27
Total mileage 890
Hiked from 5:15 am to 7:30 pm



Today I hiked more than a marathon.

Guess how much snow I hiked through today. That is right. None. Now guess how many magnificent vistas I enjoyed today. Right again. None.

Spent almost the entire day in the forest today. The hiking, at least for the morning was really easy. Generally downhill but gently so. But because I was in the green tunnel, there really was nothing spectacular to gaze at.

Who knew they still have manned fire lookouts

Easy trail leading to one of many road crossings in this area

All of that downhill did deliver me to a rather large river. The Middle Fork of the Feather River made for the perfect place to while away a couple of hours in the heat of the day. I already had 18 miles in by the time I reached the river at 1 pm so I did not feel the pressure to leave. There were only 4 of us spread around this perfect swimming pool, complete with shaded sandy areas to flop onto. It was 90 degrees in the shade, which was another reason not to head out.

PCT bridge 

My swimming hole

Rapids by the bridge

When I did go in for a swim it was a bit embarrassing just how significant the plume of muddy water around me was. Lately the trail tread has been been covered with a very fine layer of dust so a hikers legs (ok a hikers entire body but the legs are most noticable) are constantly filthy.

But alas, all good things must end. I was down at the river and the trail was aiming up to the ridge some 2800 feet up the hill. I was very pleasantly surprised when the climb went quite easily. It made for a long day but now I am all set up for a short day into Quincy tomorrow for a resupply and all of then other town activities like showers and beer but not at the same time.

Home for the night 

No comments:

Post a Comment